We all spend a lot of time in our cars. Yesterday as I was driving to a meeting I got to thinking about how people drive and it occurred to me that I drive a lot like my personality (I won’t tell you which of these is me). Upon reflection I realized that’s the case for many people I know. Not that this is bad or good, but I do think it’s very telling. Here are a few drivers I see. Are you on this list? Maybe more than once?
* Are you considerate of others – moving over if someone wants to pass and not blocking the turn lane?
* Or is it just all about you?
* Are you aggressive – honking, gesturing, getting frustrated when you don’t get your way?
* Or are you a “doop-de-doo-er” – in no real hurry, figuring you’ll get there when you get there?
* Are you strategic- constantly looking for the faster lane or what’s the quickest route to take?
* Are you oblivious or distracted -you have no clue what’s going on around you and …. Ooops, there went your exit!
* Are you impatient – why are all these people in my way? I want to be there now!
* Or do you just like life in the fast lane?
* Are you the guardian – the speed limit is 40 mph…. they shouldn’t be going any faster anyway?
* Can you justify why you can do it, but no one else can?
* Are you a backseat driver – you have to be in control of everything?
* Or are you a multi-tasker –I can put on my makeup, catch up with Dad on the phone, check the map & traffic, think about my meeting and drive… all at the same time?
I could go on and on, but I won’t. So, think about the people you know. I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on whether this holds true or not. Who knows, I may have just devised a new way to get to know someone faster…. “So tell me Paul, what kind of driver are you?” Drive safe!